Indoor moisture minimisation
Mould has been recognised as a key indoor biological pollutant that may cause adverse health effects to the building’s occupants. Mould can also result in unpleasant odours and damage to building materials, contents and structures that may lead to expensive maintenance or management costs. Mould is a common term for all species of microscopic fungi that grow in the form of multicellular filaments (hyphae).
It can grow on most building materials including ceilings, carpets, glass and wood or in heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems. While nutrients, oxygen, moisture and appropriate temperature are all essential for mould growth, moisture is the key component.
Indoor air quality can be affected by occupants’ behaviour and moisture generating activities. Occasional events such as floods and storms can also lead to water damage indoors with the subsequent development of mould contamination if not adequately managed. Excess moisture not only increases the risk of mould growth but can also promote the proliferation of other indoor biological pollutants, including bacteria and allergens such as house dust mite, as well as increase chemical emissions from building materials.
All of these can adversely affect human health and therefore moisture, irrespective of the presence of mould, needs to be minimised in indoor spaces.